Grand Canyon River Trips
Why Choose CRATE?
Book Your Adventure Today!
Our group of 24 people went on the 8 day raft trip from Lee’s Ferry to Pierce Ferry, Grand Canyon. It was the trip of a lifetime! The guides were experts and they worked incredibly hard to ensure we had a great adventure. Thank youRead more “Phenomenal trip!”
love rafting with CRATE!
Fantastic 8-day motorized raft trip on the Colorado in May! Crew takes such good care of us and the food is wonderful. This was my 6th trip with CRATE and I will be goingRead more “love rafting with CRATE!”
A+++ rafting and hiking adventure
We did the May trip on the Green and Colorado river through Canyonlands National Park. Highlight were the rapids in Cataract Canyon and the hiking in the DollRead more “A+++ rafting and hiking adventure”
5-star bucket list completion!
Cataract Canyon 7 day
The side hikes were tough be worth the effort. The Dolls house hike was spectacular but tough. The guides stayed with us each step of the way making sure we were safe and there if you needed a hand.
I would recommend this trip if you like to hike and see unspoiled county and varies landscapes.
Thank you to the entire CRATE staff and crew. A Special thank to Vicki Mackay for putting up with me.
6 Day Lower Canyon Adventure (4/15-20/2019)
Our guides Walker, Carter, John and Olny (sp) were not only skillful, very helpful and a pleasure to be around…part of the family. Great bunch of guys! They are canyon historians, great boatmen, geologists, riggers and great chefs…lots of skills!
The office staff Vicki, Bonnie and Kristen were most courteous and helpful. The relatively small family run business renders a customer focus attitude that permeates with all the folks associated with CRATE. As great as our first trip with CRATE 27 years ago was this one was a little bit better which says a lot for CRATE as they have improved the creature comforts better than before while maintaining all the adventure and camaraderie during the trip.
Our group all were delighted with the adventure and my daughter said she did not really have a good idea as what to expect said it far exceed her expectations.
Great trip and a great job by CRATE. I can only conclude bu saying that I can’t wait 27 years for the next trip, but if there is to be a next one it will be with CRATE.
Jesus E. Gonzalez
The only way to really see the Grand Canyon.
The Most Epic Adventure with the Most Epic Crew!
One of the best trips of my life!
Myself and about 8 other folks just did a 5 day float with CRATE through the lower Grand Canyon. Their employees Walker and Bonnie were not only super nice, laid-back, and professional but also very knowledgeable about the canyon and answering any of our questions about the rocks, flora, fauna, or history of the canyon.
The entire time we were comfortable, safe, and well fed! the food they whip up every meal time is great! Book your trip with CRATE and you will have an excellent experience!
A 7 day Grand Canyon adventure – Lee’s Ferry to Whitmore wash. One of the most incredible experiences of my life!!!
An Amazing Adventure!
Three generations tackle the Green River through Desolation Canyon.
The CRATE team provided not only an outstanding time on the river but lots of history and information about the area. Time on the river was broken up with hikes to abandon homesteads and up into the canyons to experience vistas that were out of this world. And if you are a star gazer – more stars than I have ever experienced.
CRATE – you are amazing. Thanks for another trip of a life time.
10 nights, 11 day experience for 187 miles of the Colorado River through Marble and Grand Canyon-awesome in all respects
Grand Canyon was adventure of a lifetime… thanks to our guides
I would like to cover a number of things that people might be nervous about before booking this expedition and then share my experiences of what happened.
1. Sun exposure — bring lots of sunscreen. While it’s obviously hot, it’s completely manageable. I am not a fan of warm temperatures and during the day, there were few times where I was uncomfortably hot. You go through such a consistent frequency of rapids that you can always stay cool. If you’re too cool, you can stay towards the middle or back of the raft to dry off or warm up as needed. The crew also offers plenty of opportunities to take a dip to cool off. I wore long sleeves/long pants most of time to limit the sun exposure and I was completely fine.
2. Dehydration — the crew provides plenty of water/gatorade with jugs that are always refilled on stops so there’s never a shortage of liquids. (I would recommend bringing a Hydroflask to keep your drink cool) You will not go thirsty and the crew is there to constantly ask if you need anything to drink.
3. Insects/bugs — never an issue. There are no mosquitos and that is a huge plus. The guides are very clear to tell you about snakes that could potentially be around but I never saw one the entire trip. There are a couple insects to watch out for but they are not aggressive. As long as you listen to the guides, you will be fine.
4. Camping/sleeping outside — not only do they provide you with a comfortable cot that rests about 2 feet off the ground, but you are provided a sleeping bag, extra padding and a plastic tarp (if you choose to set out to limit the amount of sand you kick around near your cot). I only used the cot and sleeping bag the entire trip but it was nice to know I had more if I needed it.
5. Rapids — we experienced everything from mild to extreme but thanks to the captains, I never felt for one moment during any of these runs that I was close to being in danger. They were always in control and even gave us the option of how splashy we wanted any given rapids.
6. Food — I can’t believe how good the food was. I also have no idea where the guides get the energy to captain the raft, lead the hikes and talk all day but still have the energy to wake up before everyone to make breakfast, then lunch and then dinner. Lunch varied the least which is expected but every breakfast and dinner was different each day. The first night we even had wild caught salmon. Breakfasts would often include eggs made to order. This far surpassed my expectations and there was always more food than anyone could eat. The captains also baked a birthday cake for one of our group one night! How great is that?!
7. Bathrooms/Groovers (ah, the one I’m sure everyone is wondering about) — well, let me tell you that I’ve never used the facilities in such a remarkable setting before. lol This was definitely not as bad as I thought it would be. There were 2 bathrooms… 1 outside and 1 inside a tent for more privacy. Seriously, by day 2 I was wondering why not just have both outside. The guides do a great job of separating them from camp and each other that you always have the most amount of privacy needed. While these are set up at night and in the morning, the guides are extremely accommodating if you need to stop during the day. There’s even a more portable bathroom that they can break out if needed that is extremely clean. By the way, there are hand washing stations set up at all times. Cleanliness is a top priority on the trip and the guides are good about constantly communicating that to everyone.
8. Hiking/Expedition — the guides are extremely knowledgeable about the landscape and environment. I was really surprised by the amount of geological detail that was covered while we floated down the Colorado. They are eager to answer any questions and I was constantly impressed at their historical knowledge of the area and stories of past adventurers. Also, the entire crew was extremely helpful in assisting during any of the hikes with anyone that required attention. While safety was definitely the utmost importance, I never felt like the guides hovered and took away from the experience with constant reminders of don’t do this or that.
Overall, this experience was unforgettable. If the opportunity to book an expedition to the Grand Canyon ever presents itself, do not hesitate to jump on board. I guarantee you will not regret your decision.
I loved the people that I shared this adventure with. There were a number of people that I met for the first time on day 1 and by the end, I felt like we were family. This includes the guides and crew. I was lucky enough to have a Yendor on my trip. Not everyone may have the opportunity to experience this but you should probably request that when you book your trip.
I was lucky enough to have Walker as the expedition lead. Thank you for coordinating such an amazing experience. Despite everything that was going on, he always remained in control of the group and always did it with a smile on his face.
I was a passenger on Cap’n Johnny’s raft and for all that I learned, he provided me with even more laughs. Among his great sense of humor, I will never forget the sea shanties that he let bellow filling the canyon with sound while rafting in the late afternoon sun. It is a vivid memory that will stay with me for a long time to come.
Thank you CRATE and I can’t look forward enough to the next time I have the opportunity to book another adventure with your team.
Desolation and Gray Canyons
As on previous CRATE trips (Grand Canyon, Cataract), the guides–trip leader Johnny kept things on track, while the other guides Ryann, Casey, and Isaac–were professional in every respect: handling the oars, cooking up great meals in the “kitchen,” and keeping us safe and comfortable without over-coddling. (A special shout-out to the engaging, hardworking, and knowledgeable Ryann, whose boat I was on most of the time.)
The weather was hot! And yet we could cool off by jumping in or dipping hat, shirt, or sarong into the water. (Sarongs are a must-have on river trips.) We slept on cots or inside tents, and settled into chairs at camp dinners–all fine equipment and easy to set up. The scenery around us and stars above were gorgeous. CRATE has never disappointed.
Cataract Canyon trip, June 20-23
Cataract Canyon raft trip June 14-18
One of the best times with family!
Green River raft trip 2018 (trip six, with CRATE) excellent
What comes to mind and what I think makes CRATE a very special company is their outstanding personnel. To a person they project, and genuinely are your friend, your cook, your guide, your oarsmen and will even bake you a cake on your birthday! After that, they are strong, smart, friendly and they work their collective butts off.
If you are doing what I do and looking to tripadvisor try to find a good company to raft with, you need not look any further. These are epic trips with an epic company still run by the original owners.
Tips: One of the cool things about the Green River trip is the opportunity to kayak. For the most part it’s a tame experience, but if you dare, there are some big drops, relatively speaking, that do have a pucker factor. (Really fun stuff)
We provide most things you need. Check here for what to bring on your Grand Canyon adventure.
Incredible vacations and experiences with CRATE in the Grand Canyon. View gallery of some of our trip experiences.
Anticipated weather for this year for your Grand Canyon Rafting Vacation
Questions such as getting started, reservations, planning, equipment and more on our FAQ Page.
What others are saying about rafting the Grand Canyon.
Grand Canyon Rafting trip availability or questions about making rafting trip reservations.
CRATE Rafting Trips Since 1971
Free PDF copy of our Rafting Brochure!