Utah River Trip Rafting Trips
Why Choose CRATE?
Book Your Adventure Today!
Our group of 24 people went on the 8 day raft trip from Lee’s Ferry to Pierce Ferry, Grand Canyon. It was the trip of a lifetime! The guides were experts and they worked incredibly hard to ensure we had a great adventure. Thank you CRATE!
love rafting with CRATE!
Fantastic 8-day motorized raft trip on the Colorado in May! Crew takes such good care of us and the food is wonderful. This was my 6th trip with CRATE and I will be going again.
A+++ rafting and hiking adventure
We did the May trip on the Green and Colorado river through Canyonlands National Park. Highlight were the rapids in Cataract Canyon and the hiking in the Doll House.
5-star bucket list completion!
Fabulous views, information, hiking, food, folks, rafting=a 5-star bucket list completion, but, I want to go again! So much beauty & excitement wrapped into 9 days on the Colorado River with excellent guides that prepared delicious, unique meals! Don’t wait another year to make a decision! The Grand Canyon may change. CRATE is the only… outfitter that I would consider to do this spectacular trip! C Susan Read more “5-star bucket list completion!”
WOW!!! If you are looking for an exciting, yet relaxing excursion in some of the most beautiful and remote wonders of the world…..LOOK…NO…FURTHER!!! Our friends at CRATE are top notch and won’t leave you disappointed…unless you just aren’t the adventurous type. The crew of always incredible – engaging, helpful, funny, accommodating, …, the list goes… on and on. Our 9-day 2014 Grand Canyon National Park Trip and our 7-day 2019 Canyonlands National Park Trip were both out of this world! Looking forward to our next experience! Keep ‘em coming CRATE! Read more “CRATE ROCKS!!!”
Cataract Canyon 7 day
Hello Ill just say, I am hooked on Colorado River and Trail Expeditions. This is my fourth adventure with them. This was a 7 day trip down the Green river to the Colorado and on to Lake Powell. The trip started in Moab airport where I met up with some of the crew and my… fellow rafters. For me this trip had a lot of old friends Cater Mills, Adam Teal, and Oni. The trip leader was Walker MacKay and I met one new crew member John. The crew works as a well oiled machine and as always ready to help with even the smallest detail to make our experience unforgettable. My fellow rafters were from all over the country and all walks of life. Everyone was fun to be with and we came together as a group quickly. We had two motorized rafts and we all found a spot to sit for the trip. Our trip leader Walker gave us the rundown on the trip as we motored along the Green river. The focus of this trip was the side hikes and the beauty and grandeur of Canyonlands National Park and Cataract Canyon. The food was great and plenty to eat. I am always impressed with the ability of the crew to cook such a wide range of foods in the portable kitchen and the fresh food we have from the first day until the last day. The side hikes were tough be worth the effort. The Dolls house hike was spectacular but tough. The guides stayed with us each step of the way making sure we were safe and there if you needed a hand. I would recommend this trip if you like to hike and see unspoiled county and varies landscapes.
Thank you to the entire CRATE staff and crew. A Special thank to Vicki Mackay for putting up with me. Read more “Cataract Canyon 7 day”
6 Day Lower Canyon Adventure (4/15-20/2019)
27 years ago in April 1992 my wife and I did the Lee’s Ferry to Hoover dam expedition. Last year I suggested to our 4 kids (54-47) that it might be interesting to do it again and that I thought they would really like it. They could not do the full trip because of work… and other commitments so we settled on the 6 day trip (Phantom Ranch to Hoover). One just could not come due to work commitments but a fried from Phoenix was able to join the group. So we were a group of 5. I choose CRATE simply because my wife and I had a GREAT experience 27 years ago. We started the long hike down early on the 15th made it down and joined the rafts and started the ride with 5 or 6 quite interesting rapids. The enormity of the canyon and its beauty, its geology and its history are fascinating. It is impossible to get tired of looking at the endless vistas and formations that make the canyon so majestic. The hikes into the side canyons are just as beautiful and a priceless part of the adventure that simply can’t be seen without taking the trip. Our guides Walker, Carter, John and Olny (sp) were not only skillful, very helpful and a pleasure to be around…part of the family. Great bunch of guys! They are canyon historians, great boatmen, geologists, riggers and great chefs…lots of skills! The office staff Vicki, Bonnie and Kristen were most courteous and helpful. The relatively small family run business renders a customer focus attitude that permeates with all the folks associated with CRATE. As great as our first trip with CRATE 27 years ago was this one was a little bit better which says a lot for CRATE as they have improved the creature comforts better than before while maintaining all the adventure and camaraderie during the trip. Our group all were delighted with the adventure and my daughter said she did not really have a good idea as what to expect said it far exceed her expectations. Great trip and a great job by CRATE. I can only conclude bu saying that I can’t wait 27 years for the next trip, but if there is to be a next one it will be with CRATE.
Jesus E. Gonzalez Read more “6 Day Lower Canyon Adventure (4/15-20/2019)”
The only way to really see the Grand Canyon.
I had seen the Canyon from the South Rim and it wasn’t enough. I had taken the mule ride down to Phantom Ranch and dipped my feet into the Colorado River and saw more. But, the raft trip gives a totally different perspective. I was with fellow hiking club members from a senior community on… a seven day trip from Lee’s Ferry to Whitmore Wash.The guides were efficient, organized, great cooks, knowledgeable of the geology and history, and very attentive to our needs. They truly appeared to enjoy what they were doing. There were enough side trips for hiking, exploring, waterfalls and the rapids. Getting wet is a given. Tents were provided in the case of rain. The larger rafts made it more comfortable of us to ride together. No rowing. Definitely take a camera, video camera or phone (water protected). Have rain gear even if not raining because of the rapids. Be prepared to lift heavy bags which contain your personal gear, sleeping gear (provided) and assemble a portable cot. Everyone also helps load and unload these bags from the rafts each morning and evening along with the fold up bag chairs. The guides do all the rest. The meals were top notch. It was sleeping under the stars but with a higher level of service and comfort. Note that the hiking can be challenging and you need to be in good shape. Our trip included a helicopter out at Whitmore Wash to Bar 10 Ranch and an airplane ride back to Marble Canyon. This transportation was efficient and comfortable, and introduced me to another part of the Canyon. My one surprise: all the sand beaches. My only disappointment: I couldn’t take enough photos. Read more “The only way to really see the Grand Canyon.”
The Most Epic Adventure with the Most Epic Crew!
Wow, I cannot say ENOUGH how amazing CRATE was for my August 2018 trip. I’ve always wanted to raft the Grand Canyon and I couldn’t imagine doing it without this family-owned company. From the amazing pre-trip orientation with Bonnie at our hotel in Vegas, the comfortable bus ride out to Fredonia and of course our… ABSOLUTELY AMAZING Boat Captains, Walker, and Johnny Ringo, but our Swampers were out of this world too, Yendor, Nayr and Robbie. These folks made our trip truly life-changing, interesting, and fun from the minute we met them at the warehouse. Not ONLY were they completely patient with those on our trip who weren’t used to rafting, but they answered every stupid question un-related to rafting that we had-about the animals, their personal lives, stars, planets, their best stories, nothing was off limits with them. Walker’s knowledge and obvious passion for the river and his stewardship of the Colorado and the Canyon are apparent in every conversation and action. His ability to make you feel completely comfortable with him from the first minute you meet him, and to make the canyon feel as much like home to us as it is to him, is one that not many have. Johnny Ringo, well, if you’ve met the man then no explanation needed 😀 A great personality and hilarious, sometimes subtle, sense of humor and his obvious geology nerdery made his boat fun for all. The fact that he too embraces a costume at camp made us kindred spirits. Yendor, Nayr, and Robbie-the best swampers we could have asked for! Always willing to help, always willing to laugh and so helpful with all the things. The side trips, the waterfalls, the hikes, the out-of-this-world-couldn’t-possibly-be-real views, the histories, the connection to place…all happened because of the care that CRATE puts into and behind their business. You know that it is a passion for them first and a business endeavor second. EVERY thought was taken care of: comfortable cots with sleeping pads/bags, ground cover, chairs with backs and MY GOD THE FOOD! I don’t eat that well when I’m at home, never would have expected I would eat better/more while on a secluded river trip. There’s not enough that I could say about this company, they are amazing in every sense of the word and I cannot wait to get back on to the river with them! And awaaaaaaaaay we go! Read more “The Most Epic Adventure with the Most Epic Crew!”
One of the best trips of my life!
I can’t say enough good things about this trip, company, and their employees.
Myself and about 8 other folks just did a 5 day float with CRATE through the lower Grand Canyon. Their employees Walker and Bonnie were not only super nice, laid-back, and professional but also very knowledgeable about the canyon and answering… any of our questions about the rocks, flora, fauna, or history of the canyon.
The entire time we were comfortable, safe, and well fed! the food they whip up every meal time is great! Book your trip with CRATE and you will have an excellent experience! Read more “One of the best trips of my life!”
A 7 day Grand Canyon adventure – Lee’s Ferry to Whitmore wash. One of the most incredible experiences of my life!!!
CRATE is simply AWESOME! Incredible in every way! Our guides Walker, Bonnie and Adam showed great respect for the river and its surroundings and made sure that everyone had a great time! I can’t recommend them more highly!! It warms my heart to know that such a first class operation exists! I would be honored… to return for another trip! Read more “A 7 day Grand Canyon adventure – Lee’s Ferry to Whitmore wash. One of the most incredible experiences of my life!!!”
An Amazing Adventure!
Words are not adequate to describe the week-long trip my husband, friends and I made down the Colorado River with CRATE. The crew, a family affair, made the difference with Capt Walker’s expertise, and his sister, Bonnie, and brother-in-law, Adam’s fabulous food, and attention to the amenities that can make or break a trip. Adam’s… geology background made him the perfect guide as we rafted through the Grand Canyon and hiked up side canyons. There were many Bighorn sheep, Blue Herons, migratory ducks, and even a wild turkey. I would recommend this trip to anyone who loves nature and the unexpected, and is willing to “unplug” for a week. Read more “An Amazing Adventure!”
Three generations tackle the Green River through Desolation Canyon.
After experiencing the Colorado in 2011 and the Alsek in 2015 with the experienced crew from Colorado River and Trails Expeditions (CRATE) I knew a family adventure with wife (not a keen camper) daughter, son in law and granddaughters age 8 and 10 was a must. The 5 day trip through Desolation Canyon exceeded everyones… expectations. From the 30 minute flight to the Green River in single engine planes (awesome views from 6,000 ft) to our take out on day 5, you could not have experienced a better adventure. 5 star accommodation on cots under the stars (tents were available, but even my wife was comfortable on a cot), 5 star culinary delights (the scales tipped a little higher after the trip), outstanding concierge service from our CRATE team lead by the Queen of the Green – Sabrina. And as for the time on the river – we always felt safe and well taken care of. By the end of the trip, everyone had experienced time in the Duckies (inflatable kayaks that we had for alternate transportation) and granddaughters were running the rapids on their own. The CRATE team provided not only an outstanding time on the river but lots of history and information about the area. Time on the river was broken up with hikes to abandon homesteads and up into the canyons to experience vistas that were out of this world. And if you are a star gazer – more stars than I have ever experienced. CRATE – you are amazing. Thanks for another trip of a life time. Read more “Three generations tackle the Green River through Desolation Canyon.”
10 nights, 11 day experience for 187 miles of the Colorado River through Marble and Grand Canyon-awesome in all respects
The Colorado River and Trails Expeditions (CRATE) team was wonderful from the initial contact almost a year ago to the wonderful hugs at Whitmore Wash at the end of the journey. I cannot say adequately how professional this company/team was in meeting all of my expectations from planning through execution. The trip is a lifetime… highlight to see what I have wanted to see for over 40 years. The Grand Canyon up close and personal. I was overwhelmed by the magnitude of what I experienced. The CRATE team was professional and fun to be with. The knowledge of the geology, geography, Canyon history, interesting vignettes, wildlife and more was superb. The travel on the river always professional. Navigating on inflatable rafts was incredible and negotiating the many rapids was an experience I will always remember. All of this was done safely with a proper amount of risk understanding and still allowing for the exhilarating fun. While all of this was the purpose of the trip, the execution of three wonderful “square” meals a day was amazing. How do you go without electricity and communications and still provide tremendous meals of protein, starch, fresh vegetables and fruits, desserts and snacks–most impressive and probably rated five star for outdoor living. The accommodations were exactly as described, nightly portage from the beach head to set up your cot and if desired a two person tent. But sleeping under the stars on the cot is the way to go as the stars are beyond anything you see elsewhere in the USA and the moonlight brings a whole new dimension to light at night. The side canyon hikes are excellent ways to see the rest of the canyon. These were professionally briefed before stepping out and led at every step of the way. Finally, the eight person team that led our gang was truly amazing in all aspects of interpersonal relationships with the group, at leading the row down the river, at preparing meals, at ensuring safety, and allowing for a great experience. In my view, you would not do better than signing up for a CRATE row/paddle trip down the Colorado River. You will certainly receive a “ten” life-time experience. Read more “10 nights, 11 day experience for 187 miles of the Colorado River through Marble and Grand Canyon-awesome in all respects”
Grand Canyon was adventure of a lifetime… thanks to our guides
Most days, you can find me jockeying an office job in Chicago deep inside a spreadsheet driven universe. I am self-admittedly not the most outdoorsy person and I definitely had my share of anxiety knowing that I would be spending a week outside camping/rafting along the Colorado River. However, within the first 10 mins of… meeting our guides and launching our raft to begin our week long adventure, I knew this was going to be one of the most impactful and memorable experiences of my life. By the end, I was not disappointed… in fact, I would say all my expectations had been far exceeded. A large part of that can be attributed to the guides and the crew. I would like to cover a number of things that people might be nervous about before booking this expedition and then share my experiences of what happened.
1. Sun exposure — bring lots of sunscreen. While it’s obviously hot, it’s completely manageable. I am not a fan of warm temperatures and during the day, there were few times where I was uncomfortably hot. You go through such a consistent frequency of rapids that you can always stay cool. If you’re too cool, you can stay towards the middle or back of the raft to dry off or warm up as needed. The crew also offers plenty of opportunities to take a dip to cool off. I wore long sleeves/long pants most of time to limit the sun exposure and I was completely fine.
2. Dehydration — the crew provides plenty of water/gatorade with jugs that are always refilled on stops so there’s never a shortage of liquids. (I would recommend bringing a Hydroflask to keep your drink cool) You will not go thirsty and the crew is there to constantly ask if you need anything to drink.
3. Insects/bugs — never an issue. There are no mosquitos and that is a huge plus. The guides are very clear to tell you about snakes that could potentially be around but I never saw one the entire trip. There are a couple insects to watch out for but they are not aggressive. As long as you listen to the guides, you will be fine.
4. Camping/sleeping outside — not only do they provide you with a comfortable cot that rests about 2 feet off the ground, but you are provided a sleeping bag, extra padding and a plastic tarp (if you choose to set out to limit the amount of sand you kick around near your cot). I only used the cot and sleeping bag the entire trip but it was nice to know I had more if I needed it.
5. Rapids — we experienced everything from mild to extreme but thanks to the captains, I never felt for one moment during any of these runs that I was close to being in danger. They were always in control and even gave us the option of how splashy we wanted any given rapids.
6. Food — I can’t believe how good the food was. I also have no idea where the guides get the energy to captain the raft, lead the hikes and talk all day but still have the energy to wake up before everyone to make breakfast, then lunch and then dinner. Lunch varied the least which is expected but every breakfast and dinner was different each day. The first night we even had wild caught salmon. Breakfasts would often include eggs made to order. This far surpassed my expectations and there was always more food than anyone could eat. The captains also baked a birthday cake for one of our group one night! How great is that?!
7. Bathrooms/Groovers (ah, the one I’m sure everyone is wondering about) — well, let me tell you that I’ve never used the facilities in such a remarkable setting before. lol This was definitely not as bad as I thought it would be. There were 2 bathrooms… 1 outside and 1 inside a tent for more privacy. Seriously, by day 2 I was wondering why not just have both outside. The guides do a great job of separating them from camp and each other that you always have the most amount of privacy needed. While these are set up at night and in the morning, the guides are extremely accommodating if you need to stop during the day. There’s even a more portable bathroom that they can break out if needed that is extremely clean. By the way, there are hand washing stations set up at all times. Cleanliness is a top priority on the trip and the guides are good about constantly communicating that to everyone.
8. Hiking/Expedition — the guides are extremely knowledgeable about the landscape and environment. I was really surprised by the amount of geological detail that was covered while we floated down the Colorado. They are eager to answer any questions and I was constantly impressed at their historical knowledge of the area and stories of past adventurers. Also, the entire crew was extremely helpful in assisting during any of the hikes with anyone that required attention. While safety was definitely the utmost importance, I never felt like the guides hovered and took away from the experience with constant reminders of don’t do this or that. Overall, this experience was unforgettable. If the opportunity to book an expedition to the Grand Canyon ever presents itself, do not hesitate to jump on board. I guarantee you will not regret your decision. I loved the people that I shared this adventure with. There were a number of people that I met for the first time on day 1 and by the end, I felt like we were family. This includes the guides and crew. I was lucky enough to have a Yendor on my trip. Not everyone may have the opportunity to experience this but you should probably request that when you book your trip. I was lucky enough to have Walker as the expedition lead. Thank you for coordinating such an amazing experience. Despite everything that was going on, he always remained in control of the group and always did it with a smile on his face. I was a passenger on Cap’n Johnny’s raft and for all that I learned, he provided me with even more laughs. Among his great sense of humor, I will never forget the sea shanties that he let bellow filling the canyon with sound while rafting in the late afternoon sun. It is a vivid memory that will stay with me for a long time to come. Thank you CRATE and I can’t look forward enough to the next time I have the opportunity to book another adventure with your team. Read more “Grand Canyon was adventure of a lifetime… thanks to our guides”
Desolation and Gray Canyons
Four friends from green New England came west for this trip down Desolation and Gray. The flight from Moab to Sand Wash airstrip gave us spectacular views of the Tavaputs Plateau and the Green River below. (Yea, pilot Desi!) As on previous CRATE trips (Grand Canyon, Cataract), the guides–trip leader Johnny kept things on track,… while the other guides Ryann, Casey, and Isaac–were professional in every respect: handling the oars, cooking up great meals in the “kitchen,” and keeping us safe and comfortable without over-coddling. (A special shout-out to the engaging, hardworking, and knowledgeable Ryann, whose boat I was on most of the time.) The weather was hot! And yet we could cool off by jumping in or dipping hat, shirt, or sarong into the water. (Sarongs are a must-have on river trips.) We slept on cots or inside tents, and settled into chairs at camp dinners–all fine equipment and easy to set up. The scenery around us and stars above were gorgeous. CRATE has never disappointed. Read more “Desolation and Gray Canyons”
Cataract Canyon trip, June 20-23
I took my 2 sons-in-law on this trip and was impressed with our experiences with CRATE. From booking the trip in mid December with Vicky to our guides, Ben, Casey and Carter. The food was great , the guides were very helpful and taught us many unknown facts about the canyon. It was an enjoyable… and educational trip. In spite of the low water conditions due to last years’ poor snow fall, the trip was an excellent experience. I definitely recommend CRATE to everyone who is interested in a visit to this beautiful part of Southeastern Utah. Read more “Cataract Canyon trip, June 20-23”
Cataract Canyon raft trip June 14-18
Such a great experience for everyone in our group. The rafts were very comfortable and the food was over the top with accommodation for all food preferences. The hikes were fabulous and we all learned so much about the history and geology of the canyon. While the white water wasn’t as big as what we… were expecting, it was still so fun. You just can’t beat sleeping under the stars and the beautiful night skies. The guides were over the top and so dedicated to our comfort and safety. They always had something up their sleeves …..a joke, a prop, a costume just wonderful. If you want an individual experience and NOT a cookie cutter trip…..this is the company for you. It has been family owned for over 40years and their attention to detail is just incredible! We are already looking forward to our next trip! Read more “Cataract Canyon raft trip June 14-18”
One of the best times with family!
We to our family of 6 with youngest at 10 the trip was absolutely perfect. The crew were so organized down the the last detail. We met new friends and got to see parts of Gods creation that few people get to see! It is definitely a bucket list trip and you cant find a… better company to enjoy it with thanks CRATE! Your friends The Rod Brace family. Read more “One of the best times with family!”
Green River raft trip 2018 (trip six, with CRATE) excellent
So many great memories come to mind when I think about my 6 trips with CRATE. Yesterday, while driving back to Salt Lake from a Green River rafting trip, I was thinking of how I might approach another review about Colorado River and Trail Expeditions. What comes to mind and what I think makes CRATE… a very special company is their outstanding personnel. To a person they project, and genuinely are your friend, your cook, your guide, your oarsmen and will even bake you a cake on your birthday! After that, they are strong, smart, friendly and they work their collective butts off. If you are doing what I do and looking to tripadvisor try to find a good company to raft with, you need not look any further. These are epic trips with an epic company still run by the original owners. Tips: One of the cool things about the Green River trip is the opportunity to kayak. For the most part it’s a tame experience, but if you dare, there are some big drops, relatively speaking, that do have a pucker factor. (Really fun stuff) Read more “Green River raft trip 2018 (trip six, with CRATE) excellent”
We provide most things you need. Check here for what to bring on your One Day Utah Rafting adventure.
Incredible vacations and experiences with CRATE. View gallery of some of our trip experiences from our One Day Utah River Rafting Trips.
Anticipated weather for this year for your One Day River Rafting Trip.
Questions such as getting started, reservations, planning, equipment and more on our FAQ Page.
What others are saying about rafting with CRATE.
One Day Utah River Rafting trip availability or questions about making rafting trip reservations.
CRATE Rafting Trips Since 1971
Free PDF copy of our Rafting Brochure!